Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Taking matters into our own hands

  I couldn't have said it better myself. While being forever grateful for my full-time position right out of college (the first one in my graduating class of 16) I found a need to explore my interests in landscape architecture further. Upon graduation I had interned with my current company for over 2 years, on and off on breaks from school, and full-time while I studied in Alexandria. Soon after I graduated I found myself doing much the same work I did as an intern, with the occasional opportunity thrown my way. The room for upward mobility in a firm of 6 is not much, and as work slowed I grew restless for the learning experiences I knew I needed to have.

  I am blessed with a very encouraging boss who, understanding my entrepreneurial desires and need for a steady paycheck, guided me in the establishment of a small side practice. My first jobs, and biggest one to date, have come as direct recommendation from my “day-job” boss, as they were projects outside of the company niche. At the office, I fill the un-billable hours with my own projects, off-the-clock, of course.


  I still go to work Monday-Friday, with some half-days scattered here and there when I need one. My own company remains a side-project, allowing me to experiment with clients, strategies, and business development in my free time. While the office takes priority, I am able to balance the two, and explaining my situation to potential clients is usually received well. Like Zoe says, we are designers, creative people, and creating the experience and work you want to have is just another part of the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment